You’ve done the solo workout thing and found it isn’t for you. While you’re dedicated to your weight loss journey, you’ve already exhausted all the content from your favorite podcasts, and the TV news anchors are terrible company on the treadmill. Basically, you’re starting to get bored all by your lonesome.
If this sounds like you, it might be the perfect time to try a group exercise class. Group workout classes are a great opportunity to exercise with others who have a similar fitness level and goal or with your friends. But, what is the best exercise class to lose weight?
Luckily for you, we’ve prepared a list of the four best group classes to lose weight, as well as information on how weight loss works and what qualities you should look for in a weight-loss exercise class. So, let’s get started.
What to Look for in a Workout Class for Weight Loss
Whether you’re looking for workout classes for beginners, weight loss classes, or HIIT workout classes, there are a few things to consider. If you’re looking to lose weight, you’ll want to find workout classes that have the following qualities:
- Cardio-focused – A target heart rate of 50-80% of your maximum heart rate is optimal for weight loss, making cardio classes a must.1 Plus, the more your heart is pumping, the more calories your body is burning, making it easier for you to achieve a calorie deficit—the baseline requirement for weight loss.2
- Engaging – Whether through gamification, meditation, or artistry, classes that have a mental component will keep you engaged.
- Motivational – When you find a group class that’s taught by an encouraging instructor and taken by supportive classmates, it’s easier to stay motivated throughout the workout.
Fortunately, our four best workout classes for weight loss all share these qualities.
For the more artistically minded among us, there’s no better method of exercise than dance. Plus, there are many different types of dance workout classes you can try. Here are just a few:
- Zumba – Zumba offers a cardio-focused, Latin-dance-inspired exercise class. The combinations are high-energy, fun, and easy to pick up. This makes Zumba a fantastic choice for beginners and seasoned dancers alike.
- Tap – If you want to challenge your brain as well as your body, tap could be the dance class for you. Complex rhythm patterns and powerful, core-driven movements combine for an exhilarating exercise experience.
- Barre – If you’re looking to build core and leg strength while also pretending you’re a ballerina, consider trying a barre class. Don’t worry—you won’t have to go full sugar-plum fairy.
Whether you’re a pro dancer or not, a dance group fitness class is a great way of getting in some exercise and burning calories while having fun.
Spin classes have changed a lot since the nineties. Instructors have completely revamped the experience, trading in analog equipment and tired pop playlists for digital bikes, live leaderboards, and new pop playlists.
Consider taking a cycling class if these qualities appeal to you:
- A fast-paced, exciting atmosphere
- Lots of focus on the legs, glutes, and core
- Fierce competition (in some classes, student’s live stats are displayed on a board)
- Plenty of personal space (since everyone has their own stationary bike)
If the idea sounds appealing but a little intense, start with non-competitive beginner-friendly cycling classes.
#3. Water Aerobics
Maybe you love to exercise, but your body sometimes suffers from it. Shin-splits, sprains, and painful joint aches can all throw a wrench into your weight loss plans.
What you need is a low-impact cardio option. And if you’re looking for a low-impact option that’s still engaging and motivating, look no further than the swimming pool.
Water aerobics is an ideal class for those of us who sometimes struggle to move our bodies. The support of the water takes away the stress and strain, allowing you to focus on your workout. Not to mention, it’s fun! Take a dip into one of our Aqua Fit classes to see what we mean.
#4. Yoga and Pilates
Not every yoga or Pilates class will be ideal for weight loss. For example, Yin Yoga and Stott Pilates are slow, restorative practices, structured around alignment and release. However, there are also cardio-forward, calorie-burning classes based on yoga and Pilates principles. These include:
- Vinyasa Yoga – A type of Yoga focused on smooth, continuous movement or “flow,” often featuring repeated sun salutations. Vinyasa Yoga will keep your heart rate at peak levels, burning fat and building lean muscle.
- Piyo® – Developed by Beachbody’s Chalene Johnson, Piyo is a fast-paced exercise class that combines elements of yoga, Pilates, martial arts, and dance. The result is a lengthening, strengthening, calorie-busting workout.
Choose Chuze Fitness to Build a Better You
From strength training and boot camp to yoga and low-intensity interval training, the options for group exercise classes are endless. At Chuze Fitness, we understand the value of actually enjoying your workout. That’s why we offer engaging, motivating, and fun cardio-based group classes to support you on your weight loss journey.
But that’s not all we have to offer. Our amenities include infrared saunas, Hydromassage™ chairs, and even kids clubs, a gym with childcare services to keep the little ones occupied during your workout. And the best part about choosing Chuze? Our memberships start at just $9.99/month.
Come try a workout class today and experience the Chuze difference for yourself. We can’t wait to meet you and help you work toward a better you.
- Livestrong. Fat-burning Heart Rate Zone. https://www.livestrong.com/article/253114-fat-burning-heart-rate-zone-target-heart-rate/
- Livestrong. Healthy Ways to Lose Weight Fast. https://www.livestrong.com/article/13713640-healthy-ways-to-lose-weight-fast/