Finding the right kind of hairstyle for the gym isn’t just about looking nice – it is all about being comfortable and staying focused while you work out. If you have ever felt annoyed by sweaty strands in your eyes, a hair-do that falls down during vigorous exercise, or a ponytail that will not let you lie flat for floor work, you know how important it is to focus on your hair before hitting the gym. Avoid the irritation with these workout hairstyles that are perfect for the gym:
Workout Hairstyles On Top
Keeping your hair on top of your head is not only a great way to contain some of those shorter, stray hairs around your forehead, it is also great for exercises that get you down on the floor, such as yoga or Pilates.
- High Ponytail: One of the simplest hairstyles, a high ponytail is a great way to keep the hair out of your face while allowing you to comfortably do floor exercises. Simply pull your hair back as if you were putting your hair in a regular ponytail, but gather your hair at the top of your head.
- Topknot: Place your hair in a ponytail at the very top of your head, secure it with an elastic band, and then wrap the ponytail around the base. Use bobby pins to keep everything in place. Check out this site for some simple topknot variations.
- Braided Bun: Again, put your hair in a ponytail, but this time braid it and put an elastic band at the bottom to keep the braid in place. Then wrap the braid around the base of the ponytail and secure it with bobby pins or another elastic band.
Workout Hairstyles On the Side
Try one of these side workout hairstyles to keep your hair out of your face and off your neck without causing any painful pulling on your scalp.
- Side Bun: Part your hair on one side of your head and then pull your hair together under the opposite ear. Twist the hair into a bun and position in place with bobby pins.
- Side Braid: For an ultra-simple option, you can create a side braid by pulling your hair to one side of your head and braiding your hair down over that shoulder. Simply wrap an elastic band around the end to secure the braid and you are done.
Pigtail Hairstyles for the Gym
While you might think of pigtails as being just for little girls, they are actually a fun and practical choice for workouts.
- Basic Pigtails: Just part your hair down the middle and pull into two ponytails on either side of your head. You can place the pigtails high, low, or somewhere in the middle, so play around and decide what you like best.
- Braided Pigtails: For an easy and loose variant on this style, part your hair and then braid each half before securing the braids at the bottom with an elastic band so that they hang comfortably in front of your shoulders. You can leave them like that or, to keep them from bouncing around, pull them behind your head and twist them into a bun at the base of your skull before securing them with bobby pins or another elastic band.
Choosing a hairstyle might normally be all about looking great, but you’ll want to focus more on function when you are headed to the gym. Fortunately, these chic and practical hairstyles for the gym can give you both, while helping you to stay focused on getting fit, instead of worrying about what is happening with your hair.