Working a desk job day after day can take its toll on your body. When you remain stationary for long periods of time, you can wind up feeling sore and stiff. Not to mention that spending so many hours a day behind a desk can make it hard to get as much exercise as your body needs throughout the week.
Consider integrating some of the following tips and exercises into your daily routine to keep yourself healthy and feeling great at work:
One of the easiest ways to fit a little more exercise into your day is to walk whenever possible. Rather than aiming for the parking spot closest to the door, park a little further away. Skip the elevator ride and take the stairs. If you need to speak with a coworker, walk over to their desk instead of sending an email.
Stand as often possible. Not only does it break up the muscle monotony of sitting in the same position for hours at a time, but it allows you to try out some of these office-appropriate standing exercises:
- Calf Raises: Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and raise up on your tiptoes. Pause for a moment and then lower back down. Repeat 12 to 15 times.
- Hamstring Curl: Start by lifting one foot behind you, raising it toward your bottom, as you bend the opposite elbow, raising the hand up at waist level. As you lower the foot, straighten the arm and repeat on the opposite side.
Even when you are seated at your desk, keep finding ways to move your muscles. Fortunately, there are many exercises that can be completed while sitting, including these:
- Glute Squeezes: It might sound funny, but squeezing your gluteal muscles, or buttocks, is an easy exercise that you can do while sitting. Just squeeze and hold for ten to fifteen seconds.
- Bicep Curl: Hold something with a little weight in one hand and curl your arm up toward your shoulder, flexing your bicep. You could use a hefty stapler or a water bottle.
Break time is a great opportunity to get in a little more rigorous exercise. Consider taking a few trips up and down the stairs or walking around the block. You can also find a slightly less conspicuous location to try out these exercises:
- Side Lunges: With your hands on your hips, take a big step to the right and lunge, bending the right knee and keeping the left leg straight. Return to center and repeat to the left side.
- Knee Lift: Lift both arms up, bending your elbows and brings your hands to shoulder height. As you lower your hands, bring one knee up. Lower the knee as you lift your arms again and repeat, this time bringing the opposite knee up.
Do not let your desk job keep you from moving your muscles and staying healthy. Try a few of these simple exercises to stay fit and feeling great throughout your workday.